Let me start this post by saying I’m not a big breakfast eater. I am 100% content with having a bowl of oatmeal or cereal in the morning, as a matter of fact I prefer it… My husband on the other hand is the complete opposite. Even though he will have the occasional bowl of oatmeal with me he definitely prefers a big hearty hot breakfast. So when I saw this recipe in my Taste of Home’s Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2006 Cookbook I knew this would be something he would love! Potato, Bacon, Egg, and Cheese how can you go wrong, right……Not only did he love it , the kids and I really enjoyed it too.
The ingredients are:
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 32 oz. frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 5-6 eggs ( the recipe called for 10 eggs but we didn’t need that many)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp. Drain the drippings, reserving 1/2 cup. Add hash browns and reserved drippings to skillet: mix well.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, turnings when browned. Make 5-6 wells (however many eggs you are using) evenly spaced in the hash browns. Place one egg in each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes or until eggs are set. Garnish with parsley; serve immediately.