Well, here is the last of our fresh picked strawberries! Sitting on top of a cream cheese filling with semisweet chocolate drizzled on top of them. This pie was delicious! As I’m sitting here thinking of how to describe to you the taste of this pie this is what comes to mind, a chocolate covered strawberry with a little cream filling, oh and throw in a bit of a flakey crunch from the pie crust! That is how it tasted to me. Everyone loved this pie and it did not last long. I will be making this many many more times. I adapted the recipe from my cookbook Taste of Home’s Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2006.
The ingredients are:
- 3 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, divided
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam, melted
- In a saucepan, melt 2 ounces chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring constantly; spread or brush over the bottom and up the sides of pastry shell. Chill.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread over chocolate layer; cover and chill for about 1 hour.
- Arrange strawberries, tip end up, atop the filling. Brush jam over strawberries. Melt the remaining chocolate and drizzle over all.
Yield: 6-8 servings