We had a summer kick-off BBQ with the family last Sunday. Of course sun, swimming, and lots of yummy food was involved. I made these Grilled Shrimp And Sausage Skewers With Smoky Paprika Glaze. I found the recipe in an old Bon Appetit magazine (June 2010). Shrimp and sausage are great right? Well this smoky paprika glaze just threw it over the top. You could really taste the smokiness from the paprika and the fresh thyme and garlic. Not your typical kabob, so much flavor. Everyone loved this!
I adapted the ingredients slightly to our taste.
The ingredients are:
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 uncooked extra-large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 12 1-inch long pieces kielbasa sausage
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 2-layer sections of red onion wedges
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
6 long metal skewers or 3 long bendable ones
- Whisk oil, garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, vinegar, salt, and black pepper in medium bowl to blend for glaze. Transfer half of glaze to small bowl and reserve for serving.
- Alternately thread shrimp, sausage pieces, cherry tomatoes, and sections of onion wedges on each of 6 long metal skewers. Arrange skewers on large rimmed baking sheet. (Do Ahead: Can be made up to 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill skewers and bowls of glaze separately.)
- Coat grill rack with nonstick spray and prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush skewers on both sides with glaze from 1 bowl. Grill until shrimp are opaque in center, turning and brushing occasionally with more glaze, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Arrange skewers on platter. Serve with remaining bowl of glaze.