Happy Cinco De Mayo Everyone! Today my day is going to be spent on a soccer field so my family got together last night. We had lots of yummy mexican food but most of all we spent precious moments together…. My grandfather tried to get on the trampoline with the kids and all of us women about had a heart attack thinking he was going to hurt himself. The kids thought it was great though (love you grandpa)!
One of the things I made for the night was this Oven-Baked Arroz Con Pollo. I got the recipe out of the Spring Phyllis Hoffman Celebrate magazine. This Oven-Baked Arroz Con Pollo was very good, full of rice, beans, corn, chicken, chiles and topped off with cheese!
The ingredients are:
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups rice
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk (I used 2% milk)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 cups shredded chicken (I used an already made rotisserie chicken to save time)
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1-1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To prepare rice: In a large saucepan, combine broth and water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add rice, onion, corn, and garlic. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir in pinto beans and salsa verde. Spread in a single layer in a 13×9-inch baking dish.
- To prepare chicken: In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, Add flour to melted butter, stirring until smooth. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until light brown. Add milk, stirring until smooth. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until thickened, stirring often. Add sour cream, stirring until smooth. Add chicken and chiles, stirring well. Spread in a single layer on top of prepared rice. Top with cheeses. Cover, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until cheese is lightly golden and edges are bubbly.