This recipe is a Barefoot Contessa recipe that was featured in the Food Network Magazine back in December 2011. The whole family loves shrimp cocktail but I had never seen it prepared this way. So I decided to give it a try (plus I love Ina, the Barefoot Contessa). This Roasted Shrimp Cocktail was great! The pepper and the fresh lemon zest gave the shrimp great flavor. The homemade cocktail sauce was good and gave the shrimp a big kick (and I didn’t even use all of the horseradish and Tabasco sauce that it called for). This makes the perfect appetizer for any party or get-together!
The ingredients are:
For the Shrimp
- 2 pounds (12 to 15 count) shrimp
- 1 Tablespoon good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup Heinz chili sauce
- 1/2 cup Heinz ketchup
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish (I used 2 T)
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus lemon zest for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (I used about half this)
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place on a sheet pan with the olive oil, salt and pepper and spread them in one layer. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, just until pink, firm and cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- For the sauce, mix the chili sauce, ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Top the shrimp with lemon zest and serve with the sauce.